International day of Tour Guides

“It’s an event organized by WFTGA – World federation of Touristic Guide Associations- and promoted in Italy by ANGT National Association of Touristic Guide. It was founded in 1990 in order to promote the profession and the important role played by touristic guides for a correct spread of knowledge of the cultural , historical, artistic, social, economic heritage of the territory where they work.

Italian guides make available, for a day in a year, their competence and professionalism for free with the aim of promote their profession and the cultural heritage of the area where they work, the real fuel of Italy, but always in the last place in state budgets, often looking for new and worth places to visit, most of the times unknown even to locals”

2017 - XXVIII International day of Tour guides

AGT Palermo celebrates the International day of tour guides offering free guided tours, on Sunday 5th March, from 3pm to 6pm at the Anglican church Holy Cross, via Roma.

Offerings will be donated to @savethechildren Italia for the emergency earthquake in central Italy…/terremoto-centro-italia

2016 - XXVII International day of Tour guides

AGT adopts the church of S. Maria degli Agonizzanti

The church of Santa Maria degli Agonizzanti, was built, not by chance, on the road that from Palazzo Pretorio , sit of the municipality power, leaded to the old jail , Vicaria. The church of Santa Maria degli Agonizzanti was the sit of the Company of brothers that had to spiritually accompany those who had been sentenced to death during the days immediately before the sentence was carried out.


The altarpiece dating back to XVIII century shows The Virgin and the Child while attending someone before his execution.

2014 - XXV International day of Tour guides

AGT adopts The Post Office Palace

The XXV International day of Tour guides was the occasion to celebrate the 20th year of the welcome to tourists. AGT guides opened the doors of the Palermo Post Office Palace.

During the event AGT gave a recognition to the Mayor Leoluca Orlando and to the town Councilor for Tourism and Culture Francesco Giambrone for the significant efforts done through the years in order to promote and spread culture and to preserve and promote the city cultural heritage, both tangible and intangible with the same passion and love that tour guides have for the city and to support the struggle to achieve normality of everyday life.


The project has supported the social program of the Association

2013 – XXIV International day of Tour Guides

AGT Welcomes you in Palazzo Comitini

Two courtyards of honour, divided by a columned portico, lead to Palazzo Comitini, once sumptuous mansion of the Gravina princes.

Built on those days modern Via Maqueda, it was created as the perfect place where to build the imposing mansions of the local aristocracy, the palace is a jewel box with a number of small treasures, like the so called porcelain small rooms, small places used for intimate chatting whose walls are made precious by small objects of porcelain.

The project has supported the social program of the Association

2012 - XXIII International day of Tour Guides

AGT adopts the Castle of Maredolce or Favara

Fawarah ( in Arabic “spring of water that flows impetuously, almost boiling” ) is the name of the qasr (“castle”) of the kalbita emir Gia’far, afterwords transformed by the Norman king Roger II in a palace, it is surrounded by an artificial lake whose fresh water is supplied by a spring of water coming from the slopes of Mount Grifone ( from here the name “Maredolce” later given to the building.)

Recently restored , the castle of Maredolce has been adopted by AGT in occasion of the International day of Tour guides in 2012.

Evidences of hydraulic plaster are still visible on the lower part of the building wall, once reached by the artificial lake water, in the center of the lake was once a small island on which luxuriant vegetation used to grow.

castello di maredolce
castello di maredolce
castello di maredolce
castello di maredolce

The poet Abd ar-Rahman known as “Il Trapanese”, who lived in the same period of king Roger II writes on the vegetation of the small island in the center of the lake :

«…le arance quando nell’isola maturano

sono fuochi che ardono su rami di crisolito

E limone somiglia al pallore dell’amante

dopo notti di lontananza e  di tortura…»

2011 – XXI International day of Tour Guides

AGT adopts the new Court house of Palermo

Agt, in occasion of the International day of Tour guides 2011, shows to visitors the area and the buildings of the new Court House made a few years ago on the project of the architect Sebastiano Monaco. It is located close by to the old court house of Palermo built in the 1930’ and 1940’ according to Mussolini style, the new buildings are in the area blocks once marked off by the streets. Open spaces and squares once opened to traffic are now pedestrian areas, areas where people meet enriched by sculptures and contemporary installations.

Piazza della Memoria

It is dedicated to the memory of the magistrates killed by the mafia because of their fight against the criminal organization.

Piazza della Memoria is marked off by a fence made of steps on top of which their names are put in evidence.

Here is the list of the magistrates:

Pietro Scaglione – 5 maggio 1971

Cesare Terranova – 25 settembre 1979

Gaetano Costa – 6 agosto 1980

Giangiacomo Ciaccio Montalto – 25 gennaio 1983

Rocco Chinnici – 29 luglio 1983

Alberto Giacomelli – 14 settembre 1988

Antonino Saetta – 25 settembre 1988

Rosario Livatino – 21 settembre 1990

Giovanni Falcone – 23 maggio 1992

Francesca Morvillo – 23 maggio 1992

Paolo Borsellino – 19 luglio 1992

2010 – XX International day of Tour Guides

Saints and Merchants in the Loggia area

The itinerary brings to the discovery of the “Loggia delle Nazioni”, an historical area in the city center, where, for its proximity to the port, since the XIII century The Genoese, The Pisans, The Lucchesians, The Catalans and The Amalfitans had settled down to take care of their commercial activities. Not so much is left of the many warehouses, stock houses, churches and chapels built by these communities but through the visit of the survived religious buildings and art works we will bring back to life this special moment of the city past life.

XIX International day of Tour Guides

AGT adopts The Florios’ mansion

franca florio

Franca Jacona of San Giuliano was born in Palermo in 1873.
She was the only daughter of the baron Pietro Jacona of San Giuliano and of Costanza Notarbartolo of Villarosa.

She was an educated and charming lady, she was raised by a German tutor and she could speak not only German but also English and French. She was a typical Sicilian beauty, dark hair, dark complexion, green eyes, m 1,73 tall, broad shoulders and a thin waist .

She married Ignazio Florio in 1893 and she moved in a building in the area called Olivuzza that in those days was the kingdom of the Florio.

casa florio
casa florio

Putties, painted by Salvatore Gregorietti, on the ceiling of Donna Franca’s bedroom, are represented while throwing rose petals that, surprisingly, “fall” on the majolica floor of the room.

casa florio

The Olivuzza area at the end of XIX century.
Ignazio Florio and Giovanna D’Ondes in a carriage at the entrance of Villa Florio.

casa florio

At the corner of Piazza Principe di Camporeale and Via Guglielmo Oberdan still exists the palace
where Franca and Ignazio Florio lived, they were as the main characters of Palermo’Belle Epoque.